Grove Elementary - Bell
Grove Elementary is part of Unit 5 and located at the corner of Airport and Shepard Road in Normal. The original Grove school was built in 1866, a one room schoolhouse located near the corner of Hershey and Raab Road. Eventually rebuilt, it lasted until 1945. It took 55 years to replace her but in 2000 the new Grove Elementary was built close to the location of the original (which still stands, now as a personal residence). The bell? It was a gift from the Kraft family, some of whom attended that original one room schoolhouse. Thankfully, through their generosity, the new Grove remains connected to the old.
More from this collection